Thursday 26 July 2012

What to do with lamb shanks?

I recently acquired a slow cooker and it is fabulous. I especially like that I can throw a whole bunch of stuff in it in the morning, and when I get home dinner is cooked.
However, there are not a lot of mornings where I am up early enough to actually be prepared and make dinner, and so after the first use it sat in the cupboard for a month.
The other problem with it was that although I own two slow cooker recipe books, I don't have the majority of the ingredients they require sitting in my cupboard. While I love to cook, I don't keep a lot of char siu sauce, smoked paprika, peanut oil, red wine vinegar or garam masala lying around the house. I do have things that stay in the cupboard for a long time, but will eventually get used.

I also have groceries delivered to my house and decided a few weeks ago to try out lamb shanks. I've never cooked them before, and as such went looking for a recipe. Same problem as the slow cooker and I didn't want to go shopping.
So, this morning I decided to get all proactive and use them both in my own recipe, and as a result we are having lamb shanks for dinner! YAY!



Slow cooked lamb shanks

Ingredients:
4 lamb shanks
4 potatoes peeled and diced
3 carrots peeled and chopped
1 brown onion peeled and chopped
2 cups frozen peas and corn
1 leek chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup cream
2 1/2 cups water
3-4 teaspoons of Gravox powder
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot English mustard
salt and pepper to season

Method:
This is the best part. Put the lamb, potatoes, carrot, onion, leek, peas and corn into the slow cooker.
Mix everything else together in a large bowl and then pour into the slow cooker making sure there aren't whole items outside of the liquid.
Pending on the time frame, put on high for 6-7 hours, or put in low for 8+ hours.
About an hour before you eat, turn the lid sideways (**if you have an OVAL slow cooker) and sit on top of the cooker, this will reduce the liquid in the bottom, but keep the food moist.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment